I want to like the Osprey packs, but they hate me. They are the most uncomfortable backpacks I have ever tried. Make my back and hips very sore within a few miles with a load in 'em. This is a 50-50 thing, people seem to love or hate them, they either work or not.

It's always best to try packs with the gear you intend to take so the general advice is, get a pack that fits you (fit is the top three most important things in choosing a pack - it has to fit, has to fit, has to fit) and works with the weight and bulk of your gear.

The mesh is nice - the big bow in the frame of the pack made a bear canister impossible to take in the earlier models. I noticed that the frame is less bowed than in previous Osprey packs when checking out the packs in REI the other day. But that of course means that there is less air space than before. I thought it was nice too that the hydration bladder could be hung in the air space, but alas, the frame felt like I was hauling a ton of bricks and tippy besides. The weight either settled on my shoulders or tried to pull me backward. So Im glad to see they revamped the frame since them. But the new ones don't fit me either... had to carry one for someone when they were having issues, and yep, same painful hips.

http://hikeandbackpack.com