Hi Tom,

Because they're a poor power source for digicams and also because AAs don't fit with slim camera designs, AA and AAA batteries have fallen to the wayside, except for a smattering of entry-level models. Everybody else uses propietary Li-ion cells.

I'll suggest setting criteria, first, when shopping. Specifically, how many shots do you take per day and per trip? When researching cameras, find the CIPA test results, which will give an average shots per battery charge (video use and casual reviewing aside). It might range from a poor 150 to an excellent 1,000 or more (big dslrs).

With a shot budget of, say, 1,400 (200/day x 7 days) you'll know to budget for four 400-shot batteries (with obvious adjustment for actual values). For a compact digicam, four batteries are surprisingly small and light, and render field-charging moot. Of course, you can't share them with other devices (although clever lads can still use one to spark a fire).

In my experience most folks take a couple dozen shots per trip, and never need a battery swap. I'm not that guy, but acknowledge that such slackers exist among us. wink

As an added note, OEM batteries are often ghoulshly expensive, so the aftermarket is your friend. I've bought eight-dollar replacements for sixty-dollar OEMs. They usually don't last as many shots, but I can live with that so long as they're in the ballpark.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By TomD
I use rechargeable batteries for my headlamp, my GPS and carry a candle lantern for my tent. I don't carry much else that uses batteries. I had a camera that also used AA batteries, but I need to replace it, so not sure what I will do about batteries yet. I do have an MP3 player and a charger would be useful for it. Small solar panel chargers are made by several manufacturers and are getting better, meaning lighter and cheaper, so I suggest doing some research online before deciding one way or another.