Look at the links on the main page (backpacking.net) of this side, along the left hand column. There are basic gear lists for 3 season backpacking there.

I would recommend that you check the gear lists, and then think about where you are going and check regulations there to see how they want you to handle food storage. Then decide what gear you need to take. Considerations are usually your personal limits on safety vs minimalist (how much gear you are safe taking, vs how little you can get away with taking), and whether or not you need a bear canister and if so, how large/small a canister you need.

I had a NF terra pack - and sold it after a single use, because I quickly learned that the Bear Vault I had to take would not fit inside it without bursting the seams. Fitting a can plus the other gear I had in it was impossible.

Your pack has to be the right size (back frame, not volume) to fit you well and also to hold the gear you are taking (volume, not pack size) and then, it needs to carry that weight comfortably. This is a unique equation for everyone. My unique equation has repeatedly proved out to be the following: 40-50 liters pack depending on how long and where I am going - meaning the bear canister choice I have to make. A small pack frame as I have a measurement of 16.5 inches, and need a waist belt that will adjust to get the weight in the pack on my hips, and off my shoulders. And, I don't want to dangle things off the pack due to brush and off trail travel, so the rest of the gear has to go inside with the can.

Have your measurements determined by an outfitter who can fit you with a pack, or by your own measurement. REI will do this but I found them to be incorrect. You can find instructions for this process to do it yourself on the McHale website. (see below) In my experience REI has tended to size women up a size, resulting in my having a bad experience with medium packs where I needed small. And I have found that the "ultralight" (they are not actually ultralight packs, and weigh 3 lbs ) packs Osprey makes do not fit me at all even when I get the proper size, and make me sore. Which is why it is also important to get a pack that works with your body and not against it. Good return policies are important.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

http://hikeandbackpack.com