Re my sig line--perhaps I should change it because now I pretty much have to avoid the more "crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous" paths "leading to the most amazing view." There are lots of those in the Columbia River Gorge, and 15 years ago I hiked a number of them. Ruckel Ridge, Rock of Ages, Munra Point....

Hiking is an intrinsically dangerous activity, and should be recognized as such. The attitude, though, should not be one of fear, but of respect for the forces of nature (such as temperature and gravity). Or, for that matter, traffic on the roads leading to and from the trailhead! Alertness, knowledge and common sense are all important.

I originally picked the Edward Abbey quote for the exact reason that he made it: we are so concerned with wrapping everything and everyone in a cocoon that we are losing the sense of adventure.

For those not aware, Jim's pack and stove are both considered classics, worth many hundreds (if not thousands) on the used gear market! They're also proof that lightweight gear is perhaps not as new as some think!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/29/13 03:33 PM)