Interesting topic. I am responding to Jim's OP, but I liked this quote from Glenn;

Quote:
One of the reasons I was drawn to backpacking originally was the idea that I could develop my own techniques, goals, and agendas, and at most be "different," which is a whole wide world away from being "wrong." The only judgment I make about other people's gear is whether it might work for me, too.

Amen brother! I find it great that there are all these other pieces of equipment out there, which in all likelyhood I will NEVER purchase (because unlike Glenn, I am not a gearaholic. Not that there is anything wrong with that.... grin ) If I have the gear that works for me and is reliable (this is a big one for me), I see no need to change. Take what you need to do what you want to do while you are up there, that is what I say. I've got gear for winter, desert, for fishing, for hunting, for mountaineering, whatever. I think you get the idea. This is because the bottom line for me is that I love the sense of independence and self reliance feel I have going out there. I took this line really far in my 20's. But THAT is MY illusion. Heck, the differences in gear just give you something to talk about around the campfire (if you can have one) laugh

I do have to say that I seem to like a bit of misery in my adventures. Not sure why...definitely so though. I was just watching these guys aid attempt on some mid-winter Eiger route. As I was thinking how much fun it looked(beyond me, but still fun), I released how demented that line of reasoning was. My wife would be appalled. Oh well.

Edited by skcreidc (03/28/13 01:27 PM)