Don't hesitate to say it! Sometimes the gear discussions take on a tone of "this is the right way," but that's only because many of the folks have been interacting for a long time - the parts about "you have to decide whether this is right for you" and "there are no absolutes" is implied in the discussion.

One of the reasons I was drawn to backpacking originally was the idea that I could develop my own techniques, goals, and agendas, and at most be "different," which is a whole wide world away from being "wrong." The only judgment I make about other people's gear is whether it might work for me, too.

I tend toward the light end of the spectrum, but not for the reason Jim attributes to ultralighters (at 63, I'm in no way a "wood nymph" sprinting past anyone!) Instead, my decision to go lighter was in part an attempt to offset some loss in abilities (I'm no longer quite as nimble as I was, and a lighter, smaller pack helps with balance and bending when scrambling over boulders or under blowdowns, for example.) I've simplified technique and decided I could do without some things in order to maintain comfort in others (again, an example is that I've gone with a less roomy solo tent so I could use the "saved" weight for a cushier sleeping pad.)

Does that mean I think you should go light? Nope. You should hike happy, however you define that term.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (03/28/13 12:12 PM)