I agree that the stove you linked to is not worth the money. It's also heavier than most top-mounted canister stoves.

I would be extremely cautious about buying any backpacking gear from amazon.com. For one thing, returning anything there is a real pain, as I have found out. REI and backcountry.com both have unlimited warranties and extremely liberal return policies. I understand that a few other firms do, too. At amazon.com, just contacting a human to arrange a return can take days!

For lots of info on recent model canister stoves, check out Hikin' Jim's blog, Adventures in Stoving. There is also an excellent article on the most recent advances in canister-type stoves on Backpackinglight.com, but it requires a subscription to read. Most of the same info can be found on Hikin' Jim's blog.

As Lori mentions, you can make your own alcohol stove out of a cat food can or two, or a soda can, for even less--even if neither you nor your neighbors have a cat and you have to throw the food away!

More comprehensive stove info here and (for a popular cat food can alcohol stove) here.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/23/13 10:48 AM)