bigefan32000,

Congratulations on your plan. Hope you have as much fun as I have had. I've done it twice, and health permitting, I plan to do it again.

First, you've come to the right place. We deal in lightweight approaches, and that will be very important. You need to get as light as you can. Real serious lightweight. The Neel's Gap dropouts all seem to be the ones who are heavily loaded. Incidentally, the store people at Neel's Gap will go through your gear for you and recommend changes to lighten up. Plan time and listen carefully. They know what they are doing.

Second, White Blaze is a very good suggestion. I don't go there often, but it's in my "favorites" list. Also take a look at the ATC website. Some very good stuff there as well and while you're at it, look in the bookstore. Get at least one of the thru hiker report books, and look for the "planning a thru hike" book. It has some very good stuff that will be useful at this stage. Wait to buy the guidebooks, maps and data book until December or January, just before you hike because they have a special of all the guides (and maps), the data book, and I think, the "companion" as well (you'll need that) for a good price (plus, you get the very latest available information).

One key element: remember that a thru hike is more a mental challenge than a physical one. You have to be able to get up every morning and say to yourself," heck with the aching muscles and the rain, I want to go for a long walk today".

Also, remember that a thru hike is just a series of week long trips. Your gear is the same, and you'll usually need to resupply (and shower, wash clothes and raid the AYCE (all you can eat) food bar) every five to eight days. I rarely carried more than five days of food. Food is heavy.

Once you have briefed in, I'll be happy to answer any specific questions, and I suspect that goes for BrianLe as well (he's better qualified than me, so if we have different answers, follow his)

Again, best with you're hike. jcp