We couldn't find an outside fitting for the front pole on the one my local dealer had. Maybe a production error? Got lost in the mass of nylon? And never rule out operator error?

The view from the tent wasn't an issue for me, either; I'm only in it when it's dark. However, I like to be able to see out (things that go bump in the night); I always liked tarp camping because of the openness, and didn't really move to tents until the nearly-all-mesh Hubba came out. Personal quirk.

Regional conditions may be important, too. I've never camped in the Sierras, but I'm assuming the humidity is a lot lower than in the Ohio River valley, where nights of 80 degrees with 80% humidity are common (and the rainfly never leaves its stuff sack.) In those conditions, solid impermeable walls are not what you want around you.

I forgot to say that I considered it as a possibility for a winter tent, until I realized that I could get substantially the same thing using the fly-and-footprint pitching option for my Copper Spur, with no outlay of cash.

I agree, I think the Scout design has potential, and I hope BA works on it some more. Put a net door on front, with a vestibule (or at least a generous beak) to protect it, and move the back pole, and they may have something great. Of course, it goes without saying (but I will) that a solo version would be even lighter. But for now, if I were going to move to a single-wall tent, I'd be looking at TarpTent or Six Moon Designs.

I haven't asked the local outfitter how Scout sales are here, but I can see people snapping them up. The test will be how many of those people are still using it a year from now.