Hysson was bred by Canine Companions for Independence and was supposed to become an assistance dog. He was part of that year's "H" litter and one of the prescribed names for boys in the "H" litter that year was Hyson. When my daughter told me about him, she sent me pictures and spelled the name with a double "ss." I've spelled it that way ever since. I liked his litter name and never felt the need to change it.

The breeder-caretaker of Hysson's mother was the secretary at the first veterinary practice my daughter worked for after graduating with her DVM. My daughter started work September 1 and called me about October 1 with "Mom, I have a puppy for you!" I drove down to Santa Rosa, CA the very next week and fell in love at first sight. Hysson had been rejected at puppy turn-in time because of an overbite (undershot lower jaw). Not a good thing in a dog that is supposed to pick up dropped items and telephones and bring them to the wheelchair-bound client. CCI's loss has been my gain!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/13 03:36 AM)