One of the problems with recommending hiking shoes is the rate of model turnover. As soon as one makes a recommendation, it seems as though the manufacturer discontinues that model and then offers a "new and improved" version that is most often change without much progress.

Shoes are very much a personal matter and fit is the primary criterium. I am still mourning the discontinuance of the pre-2008 Montrail Hardrock shoes; for me they seemed almost custom made. I now use Merrill Moab Ventilators and have had pretty good service from them.

I don't like Gortex in my shoes: it makes the shoe hard to dry after it gets wet and also makes my feet sweat.

I have also had good service from several of the New Balance trail running shoes but watch out for glued in sole inserts, I have had them come unglued to become a foot snagging protrusion.

If you choose to wear trail shoes currently being made, you do have to expect a shorter life for them than one expects from the more traditional boots; it's just the nature of disposable shoes. I generally get about one to two seasons from a pair of shoes, with luck (and duct tape).

Edited by Pika (03/03/13 10:46 AM)