Thank you so much, Jim, for your kind words! I remember your sad PM when Roxie passed away and trying to find words of comfort for you. They do tear our hearts, don't they?

I want to put Hysson down on a good day, before he starts suffering, far better too soon than too late. With lymphoma, once a dog starts going downhill he goes really fast, often within a few days. Hysson's breeder was in denial over his grandmother a few years ago and kept hoping for some kind of miracle even though the poor dog was staggering around aimlessly in circles, obviously because the cancer had spread to her brain. The breeder finally ended up taking Hysson's grandma to an emergency clinic at 2 am and she died on the table before the vet could put her down. None of that here!

Yes, I will be looking for another dog afterwards, although probably not for a few months.

We had a great 5 days at the beach. Hysson loved it (one of the few places he gets to run loose and explore) and enjoyed all the fussing from my grandkids. They said tearful goodbyes when they left. Of course, depending on how long the prednisone works, they may be doing this several times! I told them that, and they said that was fine!

The prednisone does have its side effects, but they don't seem to bother him. It causes a big thirst which means I have to put him outside frequently (including at least once during the night) because he drinks so much water. It certainly has increased his appetite, too! As my vet said, all diets are off now; he can have anything he wants!