Originally Posted By lori
I adore my Gossamer Gear Lightreks. One of them finally broke, after several years of weekly use and some serious hammering - it was my fault for continually throwing them in the trunk. The break was very obviously due to horizontal strain, which carbon fiber poles don't appreciate; they are made to take the punishment along the vertical axis.

However, since Gossamer Gear offers sections of poles and parts, and are incredibly simple to fix yourself, I didn't have to buy another set. Just a section. Twist locks take a lot more weight than flip locks (not that this is a concern to me) and the GG poles have a twist lock setup that's totally fixable. On the occasion that they don't lock, I pull them apart and reset the twist lock easily, and within minutes I'm hiking with poles at the proper length without further ado.

I have a pair of Eastons for search and rescue, but they weigh a pound apiece. I use the Gossamer Gear for all my leisure hiking and for shelter poles.

I really like the Gossamer. Whenever I get around to upgrade, I'm giving Gossamer a real good look. I definitely prefer cork handles over rubber after using my Black Diamond for so long.