I guess essentials depend on what I'm doing. I do backpack fishing, snowshoeing, trail venturing, kayak camping.
When I get into deep forest road or 4W trails, one thing I always ensure is that I have a spare tent, warm changes of clothes, water, bedding (blankets or sleeping bag), and food in my Jeep. The tent is probably overkill, but I hate carrying things between the Jeep and house, so I put "stuff" in the Jeep.
Leatherman is an essential for me, again because I'm lazy - it's a prime house tool for me and it just goes where I go. It's handy for fishing, performs many tasks with knife, scissors, screwdriver, even sharpens hooks if I need it.
I carry a 50' length of paracord always, it has been useful many times both on trail and road, sometimes more to help other trekkers. First aid kit and repair kit I always carry, and I've used the repair kit. Sewing kit I have used, but I would have to say I didn't "have" to. I would not be without first aid kit, though I rarely use it. I don't know about the value of an "essentials" list, except when just starting out one should have something to go by I suppose.