Bill, I think your advice may require a lot, and I mean a lot of experience, that may not be suitable for this particular situation. I've known several people who make their own knives. A couple actually had a business, but the market is so flooded with custom knive makers, that it's extremely difficult to make a profit at it. But in the end, shaping and tempering is more suitable for those who have skills in knife making, and advanced metal working.

Point being, I don't see the OP's skill level being at the point that he'd want to try shapening and honing his own blades, the OP appears to want to buy a knive.

So while I respect your skill level and expertise, the OP's "choices" and questions seem to be a bit all over the place, which would indicate to me that he needs a bit of help buying a "store bought" piece.

I would suggest to the OP to stay away from the skeletalized type handles, they're "tacti-cool", but they aren't comfortable in the hand during hard use, and the thin design is hard to control, where as a more full handle would aid in control, especially for use as a backpacking/outdoor use knife.

I would recommend that he go check some forums that specialize in this, and ask for recommendations for a knive to be used in the field, being sure to let them know that it's not a tacical knive, but for general use, and specifiying he has not interest in a 4 or 5 hundred dollar "custom maker" knife, but think about A: it's primary use, B: Blade hardness (if the OP is just starting I wouldn't recommend one of the modern cermat blades that take three wise men and a german rocket scientist to sharpen, I'd start with a normal carbon steel knive that can be sharpened without considering belts, and small power tools). Next, and importantly is his budget. I've got some fairly expensive knives that I've accumulated over time. Don't use them, most were gifts. I'm not a knife afficianado, and I get by on 3 that all cost well under $100 each.

Then, when he decides what he real needs are, budget, and takes a real assesment of his knife skills and maintenence level, choosing one might be a lot less confusing.

Just a thought.. grin

J.

Edited by jbylake (02/02/13 08:31 PM)