What I said, was "warm, cheap, light, pick two" (maybe not in that order). This isn't original to me, btw.

But, it's like the speed of light "It's not a suggestion, it's the law."

The trick here is to set your parameters - I would do them in this order - temperature rating, price, weight.

Here is my reasoning -
if the bag isn't warm enough, it is a waste of money; Either get a warmer bag or limit your camping to warmer weather;
if you can't afford it, the other two don't matter;
if it's too heavy, which is relative, either leave something else behind or start going to the gym.

Once you narrow down your choices, start looking on discount sites like Sierra Trading Post or as mentioned, Craigslist or eBay. Don't buy a brand you aren't familiar with or don't know is worth the money. There is a lot of junk out there, more than you can imagine.

Synthetic bags are cheaper and easier to care for. Down bags are warmer for their weight.

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
Originally Posted By finallyME
Originally Posted By rockchucker22
3lbs! My old slumberjack was 2.5 and I felt it was a tank! You could get 2 down bags rated the same tempature for under 3lbs.

His budget is $100. Do you know of a 1.5 lb sleeping bag rated to 15, or even 20, that is in the $100 area?
No I don't, but also stated in my first post $100 is too little of an amount to get a good light weight bag. I think it was Tom D. That said cheap, light, quality, pick two cause there is no such thing as a quality, inexpensive, light weight sleeping bag.

Edited by TomD (01/24/13 07:28 PM)