I'm unsure if there is a sticky to post these, but I wanted to make an intro post as I began my time here.

I came across this place after reading a few post on Backpackinglite forums, and then finding a recommendation at candlepower forums. Both were random visits, but I think I may have found a new home.

I'm a currently-serving US Marine infantryman living and working aboard Camp Pendleton. I've been at it for over 20 years, have carried a lot of heavy loads a long way, but never got into doing it outside my profession. After arthroscopic surgery to repair a meniscus tear and generally weakening knee, I hike for exercise to avoid the impact of long distance running. My most memorable hikes are marching in the 'heavy' category at the Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon, and a 12-hr forced march along jungle goat trails from Camp Schwab to Camp Hansen on Okinawa, Japan many moons ago.

I think I'd consider myself most knowledgeable about multi-day hiking, since I've mostly carried existence loads, and I enjoyed the odd looks when I've pulled out a DIY penny stove in the field. I enjoy the outdoors and the feel of a crisp morning after a good night's sleep, and hope to make a few hiking acquaintances to share safe hike times with around SOCAL and the W. Coast.

-Jon

ETA: I forgot to mention that I use gear built primarily for mil purposes, hate the fact that our procurement folks have said, "Here's your new type pack," to us three times in the past 12 yrs (but each new pack wasn't better or lighter). I also wanted to hike the AT since I was eight or so, and saw a Nat Geo article on it.

Edited by JAC0302 (01/20/13 02:04 PM)