Originally Posted By finallyME
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
For this last method, you want the special boil-in-bags, not freezer bags. The latter aren't designed for use in boiling water (note that for Freezer Bag "Cooking" the water is a bit below boiling by the time you remove it from the stove and pour it into the food).

I didn't know there are special bags. I have always used freezer bags. I will have to look for the special ones.

FinallyMe....I emailed the guy that owns Hawks Vittles, about the bag issue. He is a retired professional chef and a backpacker, who said he started his freeze dried meals for backpackers at the urging of friends...So I guess he has at least some credentials. I wanted to know about leaching chemicals vs. freezing bags..etc and the issues surrounding this. sick
This is greek to me, but maybe someone else here knows: He stated in a reply email that he uses "Suise Vide" bags, which are specially made for cooking in, with no chemical interaction.
I don't know if that (Suise Vide) is a type, a brand name or what, but I guess there are special bags for cooking in, at least according to him....

J

Edited by jbylake (01/18/13 05:38 PM)