The Kindle with Amazon Prime is a nice deal. If your other needs are basic enough, the fact that you can "borrow" a Kindle book each month and stream the free movies you get with Prime on the device makes it an easy choice.

Since I frequently have reasons to want some pretty expensive books that are available in Kindle, that alone saves me some money - trying before I buy helps.

I am farsighted and reading on my phone - which also has woefully abysmal battery life, I end up carrying a cable around to plug it in wherever possible - gets old fast. So having a nice screen and a good battery life is something I look forward to. The Kindle should be here tomorrow.

If for some reason the Kindle falls short... it'll go back and an iPad Mini will be in my future. I already have a bunch of Kindle books and the app on my phone and two computers. It'll work as well on the iPad as it does on my iMac.

http://hikeandbackpack.com