StylinLP,

Brian is the long trails expert here'bouts, but I've done two thru hikes, and there are a couple of things I might usefully add.

Tents: I've seen the Six Moons on the trail (buddy had one) and admired the design a lot If I were going to use a tent, that's the first one I'd consider (but would want to have a close look at a Tarp Tent as well.

I don't use a tent, rarely ever have. I like camping solo, and sometimes have done so on the AT. I use a bivy bag, and sometimes set up my (slightly oversized MLD) poncho as shelter.
I will shelter in bad weather, also so I can hang my bug net in a bad bug situation. The first bivy I used was heavy (Integral Designs), with included net. I used it the whole trail, shelters and all (kept the mice off my face), and only pitched the poncho once. Got one night where I was in the open and could not use poncho (loaned it to somebody else). Got about six straight hours of driving rain and got a few tablespoons of water in bottom, sleeping bag unaffected.

But having said this, there is another factor, actually two of them. First, one usually needs water in the evenings. Sometimes there are lots of handy choices (and I will camp solo), but frequently the only readily available (or at least semi-available) water in the area will be at a shelter. So you find you must stop there. Then the second factor kicks in. Part of the joy of the trail is that you automatically make some very interesting friends early on. They will be at the shelter. Frequently, you will find it somewhat difficult to camp solo nearby. The upshot of this is that you will find yourself staying many, perhaps most, nights in the shelters. At which point a bivy is handy, but a tent is dead weight.

I have a pair of Salomons that I have fallen in love with, but have not yet used beyond four hiking days in a row (and those were short, 8 - 12 mile days).

As far as getting heavier shoes to carry more pack weight, my advice is to cut pack weight. I have spent some money to get mine down in order to keep hiking as I age, but on my first thru hike I picked up the trail name "Antique Roadshow", ironically, not because of my age (60) but because virtually everything I wore or carried was at least 20 years old, and I had one of the lightest packs on the trail (also the source of jokes). The trick is to need fewer things, but it takes practice, as suggested by Brian and others, to need less.

Have at it, and enjoy. It really is the "trip of a life time".

best, jcp