Thank you all for the replies. I got pointed in the right direction. I live and hike in Arizona. Weekend day hikes in Prescott and Sedona and week night hikes around Phoenix plus 3 nights at the gym(2hrs). Im 6'2 and 240lbs. So im a big guy and that weight after 1 year of this is going slow. real slow. I even drink a green smoothie(kale, spinach, carrots, brocolli, apple) everyday for lunch. crazy.
My weekend day hikes are around 10 to 12 miles.

Soon as I get a pack together I want to start hiking an overnighter every weekend. Just purchased my first serious piece of gear and used it in Sedona last weekend. Black Diamond Alpine cork hiking poles at $150. THey are amazing, light and sturdy. It feels like I am using a hand rail to pull myself up the mountain! I usually can barely walk to the resturant after a hike. Limping across the parking lot. This time it wasnt so bad and the next day almost gone. Feel like hiking again. Currently wearing Solomon Mission XR support trail running shoes.

Im liking this Katabatic Gear Palisade sleeping bag. Seems to be the best...
also the Western Mountaineering SummerLite Sleeping Bag

Both the ULA catalyst back pack or
Gossamer Gear Gorilla 2012 Ultralight Backpack look like great packs!

My current contract at work ends March 31. If they do not extend it i could hike the AT before taking another contract...

Edited by StylinLP (12/10/12 05:00 PM)