BrianLe and OM, the "plan" is 3 weeks with no weight on the foot, then she gets a "boot" to wear. Not sure for how long on the boot, but the entire sojourn will last 3 to 4 months before any significant walking/hiking takes place. I appreciate the support you two have given me in the past concerning my wifes' PF and bunion.

It's painful, but so far so good (toes have good circulation and no infection). She is on 4 meds; pain, antibiotics, blood thinner, and anti nausea (for the pain killer). Her foot is in a cast of sorts, but I can see one incision between her big toe and the next. With her, the instability in her foot was such that they fused two metatarsels with a small plate. If her foot had been more stable, they could have used a short cable to hold the big toe metatarsel in place for a quicker recovery. They seem to have a larger toolbox of techniques to pull from now days for these types of foot problems. Interestingly, it's usual reason is to be able to wear high heels; not to be able to go trekking with one's husband.

Time to exercise the avatar!

Chris