My question is related to the type of insulatioin, not the total amount. Are several light items, layered, better than one item of equal total warmth, the best approach? I would never short myself on total insullation. I would also never delete the outer weatherproof shell. I now take one 100-wt fleece, one med wt wool, and one 4-5 oz down sweater. I also have one beefy down jacket, that weighs less than all three ligher layers, and is just as warm. Also, it would be a lot easier just to put on side-zip insullated pants when I get to camp, rather than take off everything, and put on long johns. I have always used the "layering" system. I was just putting up a hypothetical question regarding if there could be a better way. BrianLe hit the nail on the head- standing around in rain, everything muddy and wet and trying to get pants off, shoes off, (and for me I wear gaiters - so off with them too), just to put on my long johns! And trying to do all this without getting something wet or muddy.