Quote:
"I checked on the actual route- it is 780 km, or 484 miles long. That is 25 days making 20 mi/day."

My guidebook suggests the distance from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago as 789.1 km (490.3 miles) --- that's the Camino Frances. My wife and I hope to hike this in the spring, and continue on to Finisterre ("Lands End") --- another 82 km.

We don't anticipate averaging 20 mpd. We'll hopefully see things a bit along the way, socialize, perhaps take a day or two off in route, and in general not push hard. Maybe; or maybe I'll get antsy and we'll finish faster and have to bum around in Spain for a while (could do worse).

What our guidebook recommends is a 5 week schedule to hike the whole thing, and that sounds good to us at this point.

We've been resisting the movie; we figure we'll enjoy things better if we encounter them fresh, and then enjoy seeing the movie afterwards. From experience at this on other long hiking trips, I imagine it would be fine either way, but that's how my wife wants to do it.