Go to www.wintertrekking.com and start by reading the section on shelters - it covers both hot tenting (Snowtrekker and similar tents) as well as cold camping. Best site around for info on deep winter camping. After reading the articles, go to the forums. The reason I say start with the articles is because I believe you will be ahead of the game if you have a knowledge base before you ask any questions. The fact that you know Snowtrekker says you already have an idea of your options, which is a good start.

There are cheaper tents than Snowtrekker, but they seem to be the best of the hot tents. The wintertrekking members can suggest cheaper alternatives that work about as well, plus stoves, including homemade ones made from all kinds of stuff. BTW, Snowtrekkers and most of the other hot tents do not have floors, but Snowtrekker does sell a tarp floor for their tents. Most of the photos I've seen of them in use are without a floor, but ask about that on Wintertrekking.

If you want something light, look at the pyramids made by Titanium Goat and their titanium stoves.
www.titaniumgoat.com

Edited by TomD (12/01/12 11:56 PM)