Originally Posted By BrianLe
Quote:
"So from a 50lb pack back in March on my first ever hiking trip to a 11.49lb base weight now for 3 season. I'd love to get below 10lb base weight."

Since you're carrying in your pockets a pistol, a fairly heavy pocket knife and a digital camera, plus you've got a 11-1/2 oz knife and a SPOT II on your belt/belt loop --- I suggest that you don't even think about "base weight", but just focus on skin-out weight.

For my part I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that much weight in my pockets, but hopefully that's where this stuff is most comfortable for you and nothing tends to fall out!

In terms of whole-system weight reduction, I too would drop the gun and knife, and go with a lighter pocket knife when you're not fishing. And consider which trips you really need the SPOT for. Ditto earlier comments about spare batteries, given relatively short trip durations; unless starting with very low batteries then for anything but camera/cell phone I think in terms of weeks and even months between replacing batteries. If you night hike a lot, obviously that changes.

Ditto comments on paracord, it's heavy and bulky. Do you in fact use 50' to hang your food? In AZ if I remember correctly, is this something you really need to do? My experiences in SoCal and New Mexico suggest to me that maybe you don't, but I've no experience in AZ.

If night hiking is unlikely you can save a little weight with a lighter headlamp.

How often do you get rain when you're hiking? Rather than a tent and an emergency poncho, consider perhaps something like a Golite poncho, pitch it as a shelter if you're concerned about weather. Definitely skimpy in heavy rain, but I doubt you get all that much? Something to consider, anyway. On the PCT a poncho is all I carried through all of SoCal and that worked fine for me. In New Mexico I pitched my tent at night more to add a little warmth (and because I was just sort of "used to it") rather than out of much concern about rain.

I completely agree with comments about the sleeping bag; a Cat's Meow is a heavy, bulky sucker compared to what you can get in the same warmth class with a decent down bag. Compared to most of your other gear, that's what stands out the most to me. Well, that and the gun & fixed-blade knife. Relative to a lot of "pretty light" backpacking setups I've encountered on various trails, those really stand out too as sort of "out of place". I.e., in the few cases that I run into people with a large fixed blade knife and possibly a pistol showing as well, the associated gear tends to be indeed more along the 50 pound category.

I suggest that if you're that concerned about personal safety that a very light personal mace sprayer might be a better choice, to include that perhaps a person is more likely/willing to use it at need.

The camera is in my shirt pocket for easy access. I use to leave it in the pack but I ended up missing a lot of animals that way.

SPOT is never something I wanted to carry but a keep my family off my back item.

And on the 50ft of paracord, I'd already decided on my next trip I will find the highest branch I would possibly be trying to hang food from and then cut off what wasn't needed since I agree its more than I need.

And the ESEE is down from what I had at 50lbs when I started. I had a 3lb kukri with me, lol. Now that could split some logs.

Check out my hiking videos on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/c/arkansasredneck