While surfing the web at random motivated by a short attention span and a lot of free association, I started looking into methods of repairing my sleeping pads.

I've had several different models of thermorest and they seem to be prone to having pinhole leaks. One has about half dozen patches, and the other has had a pinhole. The repair kit uses a heat bonding patch similar to what I used to use to glue arrow points in place. It's hard and, to my way of thinking, entirely the wrong adhesive.

I started using bicycle inner tube patch kits and they actually work pretty well, although it's a little iffy. The patches don't always stick.

I now have several more inflatable pads. My big Agnes pad came with its own patch kit, my other two didn't. I hope I don't have the same level of problems that I had with thermorest, but need to be prepared.

I researched a patch kit made by adventure medical kits which includes a tube of seamgrip adhesive and a couple of patches. I was actually thinking of using a silicon adhesive (Loctite stick & seal) which seems to be a similar product. Could probably just smear it over the pin holes. One of the thermorest mats seems to have been repaired exactly that way. A piece of nylon fabric for large hole or tears would be useful. I've also seen repair tape (fabric with adhesive) for tents which should also work for short term.

Comments? What works for you?