Quote:
I'm not saying people shouldn't be rescued, but at least they should make some attempt at self preservation and not rely on outside help completely or assume a gadget will save them.

Tom, I understand what you're saying here, believe me I do. The guy you mentioned who made the first SPOT call for help is a perfect example of someone who really should not be out there, and I don't disagree that he should have been fined and/or made to pay the costs of his second rescue. That's the only way he would learn that SAR is not a free shuttle service.

But the two kids I can be more forgiving with. If they went out the next week and repeated the same mistake I'd have to be less so.

I quit going to the Buffalo River NP on weekends/holidays because it's full of people who either are not prepared, or refuse to listen to canoe outfitters who advised them on what they need. Several trips in a row there turned into rescue missions for me, and after the last few, which all were the result of those people refusing to take heed to good advice, I concluded that I was being taken complete advantage of by these types, and that they would most certainly have survived without me there. It would have been uncomfortable for them, no doubt, but they wouldn't have died.

I rescued a guy and his four year old son who were clinging to a tree in the middle of the river (it had changed course during a recent flood) while his wife and at least 30 members of his church stood on the bank for over 20 minutes doing nothing for them before I got there. It was the largest collection of dolts I've ever seen together. I got his son first, and when I got the kid to the shoreline, not one of them, not even the boy's mother, came to take this frightened kid from my arms. I literally had to scream at them to get them to do anything to help, and not once, but several times. They all just stood there looking as dumb as dead wood. When I was done I sat on the bank for about 5 minutes catching my breath and calming down, and not one came over to thank me.

I did learn that it was their first canoe trip and it was organized by their church. I don't know what, if any, advice they were given before getting into their boat, but I know they didn't make it 100 yards before they tipped their canoe over and got pulled by the current into the tree, and that no one with them was willing to help them.

By far, most of those I've SARd didn't even say "Thanks". Several of them actually demanded I help, and got testy because they didn't get a luxury limo ride back to where they started from.

Some of those rescued will learn a lesson. They will either learn from their mistake and prepare next time, or never go again, or they will never learn and continue to depend on the kindness of others. The latter group need to be made to pay something, somehow, for their shortcomings that cost others.

I don't have the experience that oldranger or Lori have, so I can't say how many are in that latter group. I expect I will run into more of them, and when I do I will help, but I won't spend my leisure time going to where they congregate anymore. I'll let the pros deal with them instead.

I could go on and relate all those stories, but let's suffice it to say that I do understand you.

"You want to go where?"