Bill, What you are missing is that I was with Jim, an experienced winter camper, so getting sick was not that big a deal other than feeling rotten for two days. Plus, I knew exactly where I was, had plenty of food, shelter and warm clothes. I could function, just felt terrible, but was in no danger.

We were prepared. Had the weather been any worse than it was, we could have stayed put for several days, then walked out, even in a storm, if necessary. We had snowshoes, Jim had skis, we had plenty of fuel, etc.

My point is at least make some effort to protect yourself and don't just depend on the kindness of strangers, as Blanche DuBois said (A Streetcare Named Desire, Tennessee Williams).

And yes, I have done a few stupid things. I got hurt once scuba diving at night because I was with a buddy who didn't know exactly where we were and neither did I. I got slammed into a rock face trying to get out in high surf. Fairly minor in the long run, but still, a mistake on my part. I got lost for a short while up above Palm Springs two years ago. It was winter so the trails were covered with snow. But, I had all my gear, a GPS, map and compass and after a bit, figured out where I was and skied back to the tram station, none the worse for the delay.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be rescued, but at least they should make some attempt at self preservation and not rely on outside help completely or assume a gadget will save them.

Edited by TomD (11/19/12 12:11 AM)