OM, in some situations staying out the night can cause death. In many others, no, just some discomfort. Weatherwise, it is pretty mild down here in California vs what you have up in Oregon. And as for being lost, how lost? Do you hit 911 after 5 minutes and cannot find the trail? Or do you make an effort to "rescue" yourself. Most people who hit 911 are usually in quite a pickle by the time they do that, but a few are just lazy. It is the lazy ones that should be charged a fine. Many who are rescued are grateful enough to give a donation. (I really think everyone who gets rescued should do that.) And those who really did not need a rescue in the first place should pay a substantional amount. Not so much that it would put them on the street, but an amount like a speeding ticket. I think people SHOULD think twice before calling for a rescue. I have spraind my ankle twice and hobbled out 8 - 10 miles. What if I had just hit 911?

But I do agree with old ranger - with a cell phone being able to communicate, is probably better than hitting the button on SPOT. I would hope that the person answering the 911 call would be able to properly assess the situation. For now, we may have the resources to send out a SAR for every 911 call. There may come a day when this is just not possible.

I would be interested in some solid statistics concerning pre-cell phone and post-cell phone SAR's per man-day trail/wilderness use. Anybody read any such thing?