Originally Posted By uRabbit
Please don't laugh! Haha.

My wife and I are going to start backpacking. We got our tent, sleeping bags, packs, etc. Most of the essentials. Need to accumulate a few more things, but it's coming along.

We both absolutely fail at starting fires. Care to provide some links to some informative articles?

I would like to offer this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brb4usB35WU video as instruction on making a small twig fire.

I would also suggest using a small BIC lighter as your primary fire starting tool, but have a back up such as a ferro rod, just in case. Check your tinder to get an idea of how long they will burn. Vaseline/cotton balls have a couple of minutes burn time. I use a short piece of corrugated cardboard with the paper taken off one side, then roll it and tie it off with some jute twine. Finally dip this in some beeswax and let it dry. Light your tinder or light the jute twine with your lighter and use this to get your fire going. I have had one of these tinder tubes burn for 20+ minutes.

Regards,

Ellis

Edited by alrany187 (11/14/12 03:44 PM)

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain