I think Lori and I commented because your post (perhaps unintentionally) read like "from a woman's perspective" to be general instead of specific "from one woman's perspective". We just wanted to express that our perspective, as women backpackers, is NOT represented by that book (nor by Bryson's book). We are not "criticizing" your post - just expressing our views, wanting to make sure that we were not lumped into that catch-all catagory of "woman's perspective".

And you are right, some men also are at thier introspective best while backpacking. The introspective types may be better writers so the literature probably over-represents the more "touchy-feely-sensitive-introspective" backpackers. Like someone said, "my PCT hike" (which is what we "escapists" likely would write) probably would not sell many books.

As far as the author being mentally ill. Lori is a good judge of that since she is a professional in that field. I took her comments as feeling empathy for the author and realizing the unhappiness that the author has.