Brian- YOU are the logical one to write a book about the real experiences of thru-hiking! I really enjoyed reading your journals. I would buy a book written by you.

We are a nation addicted to spill your guts, everything done wrong books. It is unfortunate that well planned, well executed aventures are considered "boring". I read the Bryson book and did not like it. I have not read "Wild". Not my type of reading, even if the setting were something other than backpacking. I really feel these sensational books written by people who do not even finish the trail belittle the many who are successful.

Same with most climbing books (and more so movies). The poorest planned expeditions tend to turn into epics and those who come out of it alive then write a book. I am just not into rewarding stupidity. The worst climbing movies are the ones about Everest expeditions. And who can forget Sylvester Stallone in the Alps! How rediculous.

It takes a very skilled writer to chronical the "ordinary" and make that a true epic adventure. Every person who has completed a thru-hike has a history, hopes, fears, obstacles overcome, insights, revelations, moments of suspense and introspection.