I'm halfway through the book now, finally got it from my local library. My reactions are similar to what others have written here, which surprised me a bit given how popular the book has become. I don't think I'm well equipped to perceive the book in a typical way.

In addition to all the messed-up-life issues pre-hike, and some that came along on the hike, it just struck me how utterly unprepared she was. Certainly impressive to keep going with such handicaps, but my overall feeling is that anyone can have an "adventure" if they set their hand to something challenging with no meaningful planning or preparation.

I guess what bugs me is the level of angst and drama that then come out of that. The PCT can be a challenging trail at times, but mostly it really is just a lot of walking. Seeing a bear, almost stepping on a rattlesnake --- that stuff happens. Someone who hasn't hiked much might find that to be really dramatic. It really isn't. I've had the occasional dramatic moment on the trail, but to fill a book with such when you've hiked less than half of one such trail ... I think you have to overhype at least a bit.

First Bryson and now this. I wish thru-hiking books that become popular could be written by folks that actually thru-hike (hike the whole trail), and even better if they did it a bit more like a mature and intelligent person would. But perhaps it's those who come least prepared and have more trouble as a result that write the books that non-hikers can best relate to???

Maybe I'll like this book better as I get into the second half.