Originally Posted By oldranger
I knew there was a reason I have always preferred to be at or above timberline......

Yes, OR, I wish I had that luxury here. The mountains that we have here, are foothills of the Apalachian. Not very tall, can be very steep and covered top to bottom with trees and brush.

When I was a young G.I., I was stationed in Colorado, And loved hiking above the tree line, and would often decend into the trees at night (where allowed and legal), and build a small toasty fire to unchill, in weather that required it and to get a little privacy from other folks.

I still always carried a topo and compass, but rarely if ever had to use it. I did get lost, once, for about 3 hours, but managed to navigate to a river stream, and just followed the stream down until I came out to civilization.

Where I travel here, I don't have that luxury, of hiking above a tree line, and getting into thick trees and vegitation, it can be a little difficult to navigate, so I always carry a topo and compass, now, to make sure that I always know where I am.

J.