Even more important than "starting" a fire is putting it out properly. Do not take short cuts. At the end of your campfire time start putting on smaller wood so that you can almost completely burn the wood - not leave large chunks. Douse the fire with water - LOTS of water. Stir the coals with a stick. Then, use your hands and feel the bottom of the fire pit- it should be cool, not hot. Check the perimiter of the fire - it too should be cool. If you have built a fire on virgin soil, then you should clean it up- leave no trace. This is a LOT of work. After you are sure all coals are totally out (big chunks can hold heat inside so break these apart) scoop them up and either thinly scatter them or burry them. Then do some "gardening" - smooth the site and put back some natural material. Lastly, if you have wood left over thinly distribute them about so it looks natural. Because this is really a lot of work, it is advisable to ONLY build fires in existing fire rings.

Also, when building a fire, first step is to clear the area around the fire of burnables, especially if it is very dry. One cause of forest fires is a fire built on top of tree roots. You think you put the fire out but the fire has gotten into the tree roots and is smouldering up the roots. Also a seemingly put out fire can re-ignite under windy conditions.

And speaking of sparks, put your tent a good distance UP-WIND of the fire. Sparks can fly onto your tent fly and burn tiny holes. Same for rain jackets. I usually do not wear anything while around a fire that I want to keep waterproof. A lot of the sparks are very tiny and make very tiny holes, but nevertheless, destroy tents and rain jackets. I also never wear my very expensive down sweater while sitting around a fire. Cover it with another fleece layer. Sparks and nylon = tiny holes. Also, be careful drying boots in front of a fire- you may not feel the heat but the soles can get hot enough to start to melt. Whatever you dry by the fire, feel it often so you do not burn it. Sort of like roasting a marshmellow- one second to long and bye-bye clothing.