So I was chatting with a friend tonight and we were discussing the equipment that each of us wants/needs, so I've been doing some more looking.
(We're tentatively discussing a trip next summer, either to the Grand Tetons, or to hike a portion of the AT... which portion has yet to be discussed)

The quilt that BZH posted intrigues me as an option (and I am 5'4" so the shorter quilt is an option), but I'm curious about the quilt vs. bag thing. Part of me thinks it would work great for me, but I'm hesitant to shell out the money without trying the different system... because if I don't like it, I'm stuck!

Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of one vs. the other?

Maybe a dumb question, but... With a wider quilt, I could wrap it completely around me like a sleeping bag (ie, lay on part of it) and basically the only difference is that it doesn't have a zipper all the way up, right? Which, for someone like me who doesn't use the zipper much anyway, even at sub-zero temps, wouldn't be a significant difference.

(Yes, I know they're designed so you don't lay on them, but I sleep with a blanket under me for texture as much as for warmth.)