My initial reaction was, "Tee, hee...good one!"

Then I stopped to think, after noticing that some of his gear is the same stuff I use. I suddenly realized that this list was serious, and the writer was probably a fairly experienced backpacker. The whole article reminded me that this is a highly individualized sport, and that there is no right or wrong way.

The only genuine mistake I could see that the author made was to use words like "ultimate" and "best." There is no objective, true "ultimate" or "best" gear list - there is only the gear list that works best for me. (I'm assuming, for simplicity, that this was a three-season gear list for use in temperate, low-mountain/uplands situations.)

His is not the same list I'd put together, and is certainly heavier than what I'd carry. However, my load is heavier than many of you carry, and lighter than many others carry. It doesn't make any of us right or wrong - just different. Like the author, we did our homework and made the choices that were right for us.

He's obviously pleased with his gear, and it clearly fits his definition of what's needed for spending "a nice night on the trails." It just doesn't fit mine - and that's OK.