I took one of the original ipods to Montana with me, but then again, I logged more than 60 hours on Amtrak getting out there and back. (Although I think I spent more time talking to people on Amtrak than I did listening to my music, but it is helpful at night.) I also did listen to it a few times during the trip-- when I was stuck in the tent and my tent mate had crashed (and was snoring AND was between me and the door [why they make tents with doors on both sides]) and I was still wide awake. It was also useful to tune out loud neighbors in the hotel before and after the hike. I used a box fan the night before the hike, but if I hadn't had the box fan to drown out noisy neighbors, I would have been using the ipod and been glad for it. It would have been a rough first day if I'd not have slept the night before!

On the actual trail, no I'd never use it. I mean, I guess if I were hiking at my local park where bear/mountain lion are no concern, I could... But I'd like to be more aware of what's going on around me, anyway.