Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. I stand to learn a lot here.

After reviewing your advice, I made some adjustments to my gear list:

- Removed one headlamp, acquired pinch-style LED as backup, replaced batteries in primary headlamp with lithiums

- Removed pouch for rain cover and decided only to take rain cover when the forecast calls for it

- Replaced two Nalgene bottles with Gatorade bottles

- Cut first-aid weight for two from 14 oz. to 6 oz.

- Replaced REI cup (13 oz.) with GSI Cascadian Cup (1.7 oz.)

- Repackaged dehydrated meals and re-evaluated food supply, reducing volume to an amount that fits in the smaller Bear Vault (NOTE: Although the group advised that we ditch the Bear Vault and use a bag instead, we decided to err on the side of caution -- for our personal safety, that of other animals, that of our food supply -- and keep the Bear Vault in our kit. We are open to trying the bag method, but not at this time.)

- Removed the bear spray

- Now, for the tricky one: I ordered a GoLite Quest 65L for $99, hoping it would not only cut more than a pound from my load but also serve as an upgrade to the REI Crestrail. It arrived yesterday, and after packing it with my gear, I must say that the Quest, in my opinion, is the product of a poorly thought-out design. For one, the backpad does not sufficiently cover the aluminum piece in the center of the frame. There is no easy way to haul a roll-up foam pad such as the RidgeRest. And while the external stretch pocket adequately stored my pack cover and rain gear, these pieces were not easily accessible due to the strange lid strap that must be threaded through the external pocket's large eyeholes. I wanted to love the pack, but instead found it to be uncomfortable and tedious to pack and unpack. That said, I would love to hear some other suggestions for bags that might better suit my needs.

I have not had time to tally the new weight with these cuts, but I wanted to put this out there again to see what you think, especially about the bag.

Thanks again!

Rich