Originally Posted By Gershon
I really like the idea of a used external frame pack for new backpackers. It solves the big sleeping bag problem completely. Then an inexpensive Alpine 20 bag becomes a good purchase at $44. It weighs 3 lb 4 oz including the stuff sack and a 30 gal trash bag. I find it comfortable to the mid 20's.

It also makes it easier to fit a bulky 3 person tent which will be about the same weight and cheaper than 2 solo tents of similar quality.

FinallyME, I really like your idea of tying stuff sacks to your frame and not having a bag.

Well, it wasn't my idea, I just copied it. smile It was the only way I could think of to carry enough stuff for me and 4 kids. Organization was easy though. One bag for sleeping bags and tent. One bag for food and cooking gear, and one bag for clothes and other stuff. The second tent fit nicely in the space between two bags and the pack frame. Next year the wife and baby are coming, to round out the whole family. Hopefully DW will carry her stuff and the babies. The two older kids will be able to carry more of their food as well. That should lighten me down to the 60lb range.