The others here have done a pretty good job of critiquing the detailed items on your list, so I won't go there. If you've already bought some of these, I hope you can return them (you can if you got them at REI or EMS).

If you haven't read the articles and studied the gear lists (particularly the "27-pound, 7-day list) on the home page of this site, you might want to do that now. (I developed my own list based on that one.) Several of our members have their own gear lists; for the links check posts by "phat" and "balzaccom."

BTW, that Six Moon Designs Starlite pack mentioneds, if you're interested, should be bought with the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) stays. It will carry up to 35 lbs. with the stays. I have its now discontinued "little brother," the SMD Comet and once carried 37 lbs. in that (my shoulders, back and hips were fine although my knees and feet were screaming). For me, the Starlite is too big and too large capacity, but it might work for you. Do try to keep your pack under 4 lbs. if you can, although the most important item is fit, fit, fit. Pack fit is as individual as shoe fit, so make sure you have the pack that is the most comfortable for you with the gear you'll be carrying. That might be the pack you're considering, but you won't know until you've gathered all year gear, loaded the pack and hiked around with it for a while.

Re clothing, several thinner layers are better than one thick one--you need to regulate your body temperature to the activity you are doing, so you neither sweat nor get chilled. This is technically known as "thermoregulation" and is something you can practice when exercising outdoors around home. When you're actively hiking uphill, you may not want more than a thin baselayer top and a windshirt, plus cap and gloves, even in below-freezing weather. You don't want to sweat because once you stop the sweat will quickly chill you. You'll want to put on a nice warm puffy layer as soon as you you stop to rest or camp, even though you still feel warm from hiking--don't let yourself get cold before you put it on. Be sure to avoid cotton; it absorbs lots of moisture easily and dries slowly (what's the last thing out of the dryer at home?). Because of this it becomes a sure ticket to hypothermia even in moderately cool wet weather.

Check the prevailing temps in the area in which you'll be backpacking and plan your insulating gear (clothing, sleeping bag, sleeping pad) accordingly. The average temps are only one guide; take a look at the record lows and plan for something maybe 10*F warmer.

You mentioned the Northeast; I have read that in certain areas of the Adirondacks (where bear canisters are required), the Bear Vault is not allowed because at least one bear (smarter than your average bear laugh ) has figured out how to open it. Outside the Adirondacks, I doubt you'll need the canister. Most of us use them only where they're required because of their weight. It is a good idea to hang your food at night where canisters are not required, since you don't want any bears (or other varmints) to get the idea that backpackers = food!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/02/12 07:59 PM)