Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Yeah, I definitely understand about talking. More than once, I've asked someone what their gear consisted of, or how they were planning to use the pack when the REI clerk went to check on something, and suggested they ask the clerk about a lighter/smaller pack.

At the local shop, where the clerks are also users of gear, they often ask me to tell the customer about my experience if they know I've used the item they're showing to the customer.

I really couldn't count all the bad purchases I've made while hanging out in gear stores I'd be really cool if just once somebody had pointed me to someone with some real experience!

I will say that sence I've been a member on this forum thanks to the advice and some free gear thrown my way by some super hero type members. I've yet to make any bad purchases in a long time.

Now that I have more experience I can usually decide within five to ten words if the sales person has any clue at all what I'm looking for.

What I find interesting is both the local shops with knowledgeable staff have closed down within the last two years with no real completion from the bigger stores with in 45+ miles.

Really sucks I used to truely enjoy when I got a chance to visit one of the two and always gave them my buisness even if we had to order something's I needed or wanted!