Originally Posted By Dryer
Quote:
I want a good HF setup but holly cow are the radios $$$ and the big problem is that the person on the other side has to have an HF radio.

Yup, most backpackables are expensive. I like kits and my all time favorite trail radio is an MFJ QRP Cub on 20m. It's a $90 kit and works really well. It only does the 20m ham band though.
If you have an unlimited wallet, the Elecraft KX3 is the best thing I've seen and it's about to have a 2m module soon. Its about as good as a trail radio can get. I usually haul a VX-2 and the MFJ. I've worked the world from campsites on 1 watt, no problem and have always made contact. Can't say that for uhf/vhf.

My VX-5 is easy to modify. Yaesu has instructions for it....one little solder ball jumper to clip and that's it.
Problem around here is the local municipalities have gone to digital trunk and analog no longer works. They gave me a city radio for SAR/Storm spotter work, else I'd never hear a thing.

No joke, UHF and VHF are very limited but they do serve a valuable purpose.

I'm looking to buy the FT-817 (HF(6M), UHF & VHF (2M & 70CM) Modded the radio will work 1.8-33 MHz, 33 -56 MHz, 140-154 MHz & 420-470Mhz smile
Its a great light weight multi mode radio and is battery (either 8x AA or Ni-Cd) powered making it just that much easier to carry, it also weights about 45 oz.
Still a 700$ radio and after all the rest of the gear $1,500

I just have to find a good field antenna setup for the radio.