Hi all!

So, I apologize if this post goes long. I'm in the early stages of planning a thru hike of the AT next year and am agonizing over the tent to take. I've got two 1 person tents and 1 bivy tent, but have been thinking about getting a UL 2 person tent for the extra space. I'm 6'1 and right now about 240, and about 28" across the shoulders. The tenst I have right now are the Eureka Spitfire 1 and the Alps Zephyr 1. These weigh in respectively at 2#12 and 3#5. There's enough room in the Spitfire for me, my sleep gear and my boots. The Zephyr gives me space for a 35L pack, sleep gear and boots. The bivy is a Marmot Mesh Bivy which only weighs 24oz. To use it effectively I'd have to carry a tarp for wind/rain/privacy which would be close to a lb.

I'll be toting my 73L pack (one of these which weighs 6#s by itself, so I'm considering a lighter pack as well, but that's a different thread), so in the event of really bad weather, it won't fit well into either tent and the tarp would have to be big enough to cover the bivy+offer a vestibule large enough to hold boots and pack.

I'm going back and forth over getting the BA Copper Spur UL2 or the Fly Creek UL2, as well as the Easton Mountain Kilo and the Sierra Designs Mojo. I've also considered the Tarptent Double Rainbow. My concerns are the cost overall, and with the Tarptent, I've got concerns about cold weather effectiveness.

SO, any advice ya'll can give will be greatly appreciated. I'll even appreciate criticisms. smile

TIA!