Originally Posted By andycoleman
Going hiking in France and wondering if anyone can give me tips regarding safety issues there? i.e- wildlife-I know they have wild boar (if they're anything like the boar in NZ they will charge and do a lot of damage, if not kill) I don't want to (and probably legally can't) carry a rifle. Any other tips from anyone who has been would be greatly appreciated on any subject.

You should be so fortunate as to see one. I've hiked in boar areas in holland, and nobody ever had any concerns. they are relatively small, and avoid people, they've been hunted for centuries.

Yes, like any pig or cornered animal, if you box them in and threaten them (i.e. you're running them with dogs) you could get charged. but attacking a hiker? worry more about cars, or in france, mimes and unicycles.

My two cents? don't worry about it. these aren't like the (big) feral pigs you can find in some places, like texas and new zealand. (A friend of mine who was hiking in new zealand brought me a "pig hunter" magazine from a hut as a laugh - At least the kiwis know what to do with wild bacon.. I've never understood how texas - with the amount of bbq's and guns in the state, can have a wild pig "problem" )

Edited by phat (07/03/12 02:44 AM)
Browse my pictures