My experince is that a small older woman, I am ALWAYS assumed to be inexperienced or fragile. On the trail, other (mostly men) tend to give me advise geared to a beginner. Sales people ASSUME that some man is going with me to carry most of the gear! If only that were true! The sales person wants to sell me this tiny little pack. Who cares about getting a bear cannister or tent inside!

But I will have to say that in my local REI stores, a lot of the sales people are older experienced hikers and give very good advise. Today, rather than trying to sell me a $250 rain jacket, the sales person told me to at least give a try at "renewing" the five rain jackets I already have. She was very detailed on how to wash them, and put them in a dryer on medium heat - what the H, if I melt them thats OK, they all leak anyway. And when I checked out with my boys-14-16 rain pants, the clerk simply said "isn't it great when kids clothes fit you". Exactly! I love REI kids clothes - they are functional, simple, and lack all bells and whistles, thus weigh less than the adult versions made of the same material. And they actually fit better than women's clothes.