Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

Another shocking item - 4 oz. TP for 12 days. I can cut that down for sure.

I managed to do this successfully by going from taking a wad of toilet paper to taking the little pocket packs of kleenex. I know how many were in it, and it's easy for me to "ration it out" effectively.

Quote:

All personal and first aid stuff in one ditty bag= 1 lb 4 oz. of about 25 little things, proabley too much, includes some repair stuff, glasses, knife, sunscreen, etc.

Yeah, I'm about there too..

Quote:

Crocks at 8 oz - a luxury since I certainly can wade streams in my hiking shoes. I am thinking about this one. In the Sierra it is a definite luxury - in the Winds I will cross streams several times a day.

I have a real hard time with this. I take them sometimes and not others. I tend *not* to in the rockies, but then end up annoyed at myself if water levels are high and I have to make a lot of crossings... Grrr.

Quote:

As much as I "know" where all my extra weight is, deleting any one item of it is painful. I have good reasons for each item!

Yep. when in doubt I think about how much I really use it. If I am going to use it, I'll take it.

Quote:

So you see in reality it is not that easy.

Oh I know sometimes the doo-dads are tempting, but really, when you look at these things yourself you're going plus or minus a few pounds of stuff on a base load that (if I had to guess for you) without food and water and fuel you're probably sitting around the 15-20 pounds mark - depending how heavy your ice axe and crampons are.

I guess I'm not talking about an ice axe and crampons trip. I'm talking about how I've seen people fitted out by store salespeople for a regular 4-7 day backpacking trip with nothing technical or exposed.

However I guess that yes, a lot of this is the upselling on the "doo-dads" - the expresso machines, the sam splints, the chair adapters, the lanterns, the rambo knives, the sun showers, the outback ovens, the list goes on an on.. So do the doo-dads breed the need for the expedition sized pack and load, or does the 90 litre pack enable the doo-dads smile - or are we really just faced with the reality of people who don't know better will automatically try to recreate "home" in the bush, complete with lattes, muffins, and video games...

Edited by phat (07/02/12 04:37 PM)
Browse my pictures