I was on one of my normal rants in one of lori's threads (because I've watched it happen many times) about gear store staff "super sizing" newbies on gear to sell them lots of heavy crap - playing on peoples fear of the unknown, etc.

If you've watched "Super Size Me" - you might recall what he did at McD's - if they ask him to super size it, he has to, etc. etc.

That got me thinking - of course not all gear stores are the same, and not all staff are the same.. So I was thinking...

What if I was to play dumb newb at several stores - pick a known trip (Heck, I'd pick west coast trail) and walk in feigning ignorance. Weigh what gets reccomended. Rate stores advice based on this..

Now admittedly - weight is not the *only* consideration. but it would be interesting to compare what is suggested for this.. I could do it at three of the big stores in my area (MEC, Atmosphere, Campers Village) - the specialty stores know me and I couldn't pull it off wink

Although really - for it to make any sense, you'd need some rules and consistancy. i.e. same trip, same basic answers to the obvious quesitons.. I think it would be interesting to
put together.. smile

It would also be fascinating to see what the differences suggested for someone who looks like me, versus let's say, a smaller statured female hiker.. and whether or not makeup and dress clothing was worn.. (for that matter, how different a reccomendation I get if I go in dressed in the full-on consluting business suit I wear during the day, or shorts and tevas wink

Browse my pictures