Ok, I know more than well the supposed pros for these. I do have shiny objects I carry with me that could be used to "attract attention".

My "attract attention" mode is a tarp and hammock underquilt mylar spread out on the ground wide around me. and a big honking fire. with plenty -o- smoke from green boughs.

I know I've heard of documented evidence where people have been found (by people looking for them) when they've made large visible patches like that on the ground, or made fires.

I'm now going to commit the possible heresey I refused to do in a beginner thread. We all know attracting the attention of a helicopter with a hand mirror is *possible*, but has it *actually happened*. I.E. is there any sort of documented evidence of this being useful? or is this really something in the category of snake venom sucker bulbs.

I know you can credibly use one for signalling, as a heliograph, when the other guy is looking. I just maintain a healthy dose of "realism" if you will, about using a tiny old mirror with hole to attract the attention of an aircraft.

(You'll have a very hard time convincing me you can do a better job with the little mirror then my large meters of bright coloured and shiny stuff, and smoky fire, at least for someone looking for me, and I would contend if they are not looking for you, the only thing that's gonna get their attention is a stinger missile).

Me? I don't think my aim's good enough with one of them little things to make it practical.

Browse my pictures